Transitioning is a major undertaking for many women, one that often comes with emotional and physical challenges. Women who have conducted facial feminization surgery research agree it is a key part of the transition journey and an additional challenge to face.
Just like any major surgery, the procedures used in FFS surgery or facial gender confirmation surgery have both potential risks and benefits. Considering the potential psychological effects this type of procedure can have, it is extremely important for patients to do as much research as possible before making and decisions.
- Questions to guide your facial feminization research
- Real facial feminization patients:
- Medical information about FFS surgery
- Other resources for facial feminization research
Questions to guide your facial feminization research
Some of the things you might want to focus on while researching facial feminization surgery include:
1. Is FFS right for you?
Do your facial features require invasive surgery or is there another way to achieve your desired results? Are you emotionally prepared for the changes that facial feminization will bring? Hearing the stories of real FFS patients and talking to your therapist can be helpful. Honest surgeons will be happy to tell you whether major surgery will help you reach your personal goals.
2. What can you realistically expect from facial feminization surgery?
Having consultations with many different providers and looking at before and after galleries can help you set realistic expectations.
3. What does FFS surgery involve?
The best facial feminization surgeons will develop a unique treatment plan based on each patient’s unique facial features and facial harmony. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. However, some of the most common FFS procedures include: softening of bony structures, like the jaw and forehead; rhinoplasty or nose job; soft tissue procedures, such as cheek implants or lip augmentation; hair transplant surgery or hairline advancement; and tracheal shave or Adam’s apple removal surgery.
4. Who is the best facial feminization provider for you?
Keep in mind that there are very few practices worldwide specializing exclusively in FFS surgery. This means that you will probably need to travel if you want the best facial feminization surgeons. It is not unusual for patients to go abroad for this type of treatment. The most important thing is that you feel comfortable with your provider or providers and their level of experience and expertise.
5. Helpful resources for your facial feminization research
Here, we have put together a list of resources you may find helpful as you look for more information about FFS surgery.
Real facial feminization patients:
- Video testimonials from FACIALTEAM patients
- Community forums discussing FFS, such as Susan’s Place
- Provider and treatment review portals like Real Self
- Personal blogs written by trans women
- A heartfelt, humorous, somewhat graphic personal account of FFS
Medical information about FFS surgery
- 3D video simulations of facial feminization
- Medical journal article on quality of life after FFS surgery
- Facial feminization research publications by FACIALTEAM surgeons
- Information on hairline feminization procedures
- Medical journal article on facial feminization rhinoplasty
Other resources for facial feminization research
- Alexandra Hamer’s comprehensive explanation of facial gender and FFS
- Tips to get the most from your facial feminization consultation
- List of facial feminization surgery providers
- Resources recommended by WPATH