Every face is unique, so it’s surprising how many surgeons have treated facial feminization surgery as a “one size fits all” procedure
Fortunately, leaders in the field of FFS, including the surgical group at FACIALTEAM, have spent many years developing an individualized approach, beginning with a facial feminization consultation and orientation. A more personalized assessment takes into account the patient’s unique facial harmony and features, thus providing natural-looking results that are more likely to meet or exceed the patient’s expectations.
The analysis that goes into developing the optimal plan for facial gender confirmation surgery is a critical part of the orientation process. The goal of a patient consultation and evaluation, of course, is to discuss the patient’s needs and expectations, provide a realistic assessment and detailed treatment plan, and ensure that the patient feels completely comfortable with how the entire process would be carried out should they decide to move forward with this major milestone.
A good orientation protocol should include:
- Multiple one-on-one consultations with an experts in FFS
- Tour and/or information about the hospital facilities where the procedure(s) will be performed
- Other relevant information about post-operative care, recovery times, follow-up visits
- Plenty of time to ensure all of the patient’s questions are answered
- Cost estimate and Information that you can take with you to refer back to when making your decision
Facial feminization consultations
The ideal situation is to be able to visit the surgical team directly for an in-person facial feminization consultation. This allows for a more accurate assessment of facial structure, greater access to imaging technology and a more personable atmosphere for the patient.
Read more about the best facial feminization consultation, which may include:
- A clinical photographic and 3-D Camera session which will be used during the initial consultation, any additional consultations, and in the patient’s pre-surgical records if they decide to move forward with the treatment.
- Three-dimensional CT scans of the cranium, allowing for visualization of key facial structures such as the forehead, brow ridge, and jaw.
- A lengthy facial feminization consultation and analysis with an expert surgeon.
- Meetings with other specialists who may be involved in the patient’s treatment plan, such as rhinoplasty, hairline feminization, etc.
- A detailed simulation (virtual FFS) of the patient’s expected results with an experienced facial gender expert.
Facial gender confirmation video-consultations
Sometimes it isn’t possible to meet with the surgeons in person for a consultation. This is especially true today when more and more patients are making the decision to have their FFS surgery abroad. In this case, a facial feminization consultation on Skype may be necessary in order to evaluate the patient’s unique situation and desired results.
While a video-conference facial feminization consultation is somewhat more limited than an in-person visit, a highly qualified facial feminization expert can still make a skilled analysis of the patient’s facial features and propose an appropriate treatment plan. To get the most out of your facial feminization consultation, it is recommended that you:
- Make an appointment and connect with us (e.g. Skype call with webcam)
- Prepare a list of questions/concerns in advance
- Have someone help you take pictures to send to the doctor: front view, profile, and ¾ view of the face, with a neutral expression, moderate lighting and without glasses or heavy makeup.
The best facial feminization results begin with the best orientation and facial feminization consultation protocol. This is your time to get to know the medical team and see how they can help you, and you should never feel pressured or obligated during the consultation – if you are uncomfortable with any aspect of the orientation, it would be wise to keep looking until you find a team who puts you completely at ease. After all, this is much more than just a simple “nip and tuck”!